Odate Magewappa Making
Magewappa is one of the traditional handcrafts of Odate. It is made from beautiful, fragrant Akita cedar. Thin strips of cedar are softened in hot water and lovingly bent into shape and held together with wild cherry tree bark.
At the workshop, you can choose a kit and make a piece of Magewappa for yourself! Instructors will guide you through the process and you can take home the finished piece at the end.
The master artisan's pieces are also for sale at the workshop.
Activity available year-round
- Location: Studios in Odate
- Duration: Approx. 1.5 - 2.5 hours (depends on kit)
- Min. number of participants: 1
- Fee (per person, w/o tax):
・Round lunch box from 5,000 JPY
・Round 21cm tray: from 4000 JPY
・Round bread dish from 3000 JPY
- Reservation: at least 1 week in advance
* According to number of reservations, making kits may not be available. Please contact us and make reservation as soon as possible.
This page in Japanese ⇩